Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Music/MIDI Equipment Recommendations (for use with our apps)

edited March 2015 in General
Hey Everyone!

We get asked to recommend devices that work well with our apps - keyboards, pedals, etc. Since we can't try every device ever, it'd be a great help to us and the community if you could share what MIDI equipment you use with our apps and your opinions on it.
Some examples what people are looking for:
- MIDI pedals/pedal boards to use with ToneStack
- MIDI keyboards to use with Magellan or Galileo Organ

A reminder that most our apps have full MIDI capabilities and should work well with most MIDI devices - but it'd be awesome if you could share your experiences!

Cheers!
Jessie

Comments

• edited March 2015
    I use a Irig blueboard with a Moog expression pedal and an additional Boss midi stomp for a total of 5 switches and an expression pedal. Works great for me. This is for Tonestack. I haven't used many of your other apps.
  • I use Launchkey 49.

It works great as far as velocity and control in Magellen.

I am on IPad Air with IOS 7.

Side note- Steel Guitar worked fine on my Ipad with IOS 7 as well as my Iphone. Totally dig this APP. Got the motherload yesterday while it is on sale.

I have not tried nor are aware if steel guitar had any functionality with a MIDI keyboard.

• I'm interested in anyone who might have tried Tonestack with the Line 6 FBV Shortboard MkII. I know you'd probably need a powered USB Hub for it.

I have successfully tested using MIDI Designer 12 from another iPad over wifi as a custom control surface for essential functions with Tonestack
  • edited August 2015
    Samson Graphite 49, Keylab 49, iPad Air with IOS 8.
  • edited September 2015
    For the Galileo organ app I use Keith McMillen 12 step, iPad Air, logidy umi3, and expression pedal. Would love to have the ability to midi map tap tempo to a foot pedal instead of taping with finger when playing live. The tap tempo in the app is a small area to try and hit when playing. But I still love the app!!!
  • I have to say I've tried all the iPhone amp apps out there and this is by far the best sounding, latency could be lower but hopefully you can sort that out in a future update.. I'm using th iRig Blueboard but getting nearly 2 second delay when switching presets which is unacceptable when playing live.. is there a recommended setting to improve on this? I have to use AmpKit live as there is no delay switching presets there. Please help..
  • Have you tried using your Blueboard to turn individual/multiple effects on and off instead of switching presets. That's what I do and the delay is so tiny it's not really noticeable unless you're really listening for it. You can program each button on the Blueboard to turn as many effects on or off at the same time as you want. With 4 switches and space for 2 additional expression pedals or switches that should be plenty for any given preset. From there just make different presets for the individual songs if you need. That's my best suggestion.
  • Hey there, you have any advice or info like a place to learn how to configure the midi settings to make the iBlueboard work with Tonestack?

Thanks in advance
  • Any idea if (since IK says you can't run two Blueboards on the same iPad) you can run a Blueboard and a Positive Grid BT-4 together?
  • I think those are both Bluetooth yeah? Pretty sure Bluetooth (on most systems apple or not) don't allow pairing with multiple devices at once. That's not how Bluetooth works, at least in my experience.

old school midi + usb interface?
  • I believe you are correct. Only one at a time.
  • There are a few claims that you can run the Blueboard alongside the Sonoma Wireworks GuitarJack Stage's MIDI switches
  • Hi - I use the Studiologic SL88 Studio. Thanks!
  • I use Blueboard in control change mode. Workes
    great. Blueboard switches for chorus, tremolo,
    and two delays on/off. Boss expression pedal for volumepedal.
    Only thing I’m missing is tap-tempo to set delay-times. Please include
    in future update!!?

• +1 for iRig Blueboard. I use it with a BOSS FV-500H pedal for volume/wah. I do like the look of the iRig I/O stomp though.

• Hi, Akai EWI wireless works with Megallan via MIDI bluetooth :-)

I bought Megallan iPad after seeing the this video

I tried to make Megallan connect with EWI USB via bluetooth MIDI using Yamaha UD-BT01, as explained here using ThumbJam,

At first, Megallan didnt show bluetooth device in input list, but after connecting first via ThumbJam, then suddenly UD-BT01 appeared in in Megallan inputs (and iPad settings as bluetooth device) - and it plays smoothly! Great sounds and tools in Megallan, thank you :-)

Best regards, Thomas Hoeg-Jensen, Denmark

• Hiya all,
    For my ToneStack I've also been using iRig Blueboard & a moog expression pedal and can't recommend it enough esp. for switching on/off effects. The best part about it is you can actually use a single switch to switch between effects also if you so want to do i.e. the clean boost switches off when the fuzz switches on or switch between two different delays. I do a lot of Gilmour so I need an elaborate rig. I normally have two LEEDS amps with one on clean and the other with distortions and use the Exp. Pedal to switch between A-B. I also use a second moog pedal for other effects/volume swells etc.
    @Pdubs1120 , or anyone else using iRig, have you ever had any issues connecting the iRig to Tonestack? since a couple of days I've been having a strange issue where Tonestack immediately disconnects from iRig. I changed the batteries to fresh ones but no change. In fact, I reinstalled Tonestack just in case but it's the same situation. I wrote to Yonac support but haven't heard from them yet. Anyone have any idea why this should happen? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    @jdlowfreq, you'll need to boot your iRig in MIDI LE mode, by pressing the C button while switching it on. After that Tonestack should find it in the settings/MID/Bluetooth MIDI. Once it's recognized click on MIDI Learn Units to assign any switch to any button/variable. For advanced controls double tap the button/variable and a dialogue box will pop up If you're planning to switch FX on off you need to enable the Momentary mode instead of the default Latch mode. Press set after assigning values and you're done. You can also save the configuration as a default so that you don't have to set it every time you load a particular unit. Hope this helps. Cheers.
    @Jesse , I understand that this may not be the right thread to ask about my issue (of Tonestack immidiately disconnecting from Bluetooth MIDI) but since I've not heard back from Yonac yet; do you have any suggestions that may help me? Cheers.

• Anyone tried Melo Audio with Tonestack yet? https://meloaudio.com/

• I have not tried nor are aware if steel grating guitar had any functionality with a MIDI keyboard.

• How can you tell which is the best broker from the list on this site?
    https://musicalbuzz.com/

• In the past I’ve used a griffin and a Sonic Port VX with iPads. But I’ve just discovered it works just as well with a Line 6 Spider v amp. Although you have to route the audio out to external monitors not through the amp itself. Just set a tone on the amp as a pass through with no amp or effects.
    BONUS...it’s Wireless!!
    Using the G10 transmitter that works with the built in receiver/charger in the amps V60 and above.
    Love it!

• Does Tonestack work with the Laney mini LSI connection?

• edited June 2021

Line 6 FBV Express MKII USB Foot Controller

Works very well with Tonestack and now Tonestack Pro.

For a guitarist it provides enough functions to gig with.
    It has four switches and an expression pedal.

Lots of fun.