Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ToneStack 2.0 Spring Reverb

edited April 2016 in Feature Requests
I was hoping for a little bit more from the spring reverb emulations, both in amps and the "spring forward" pedal. I was hoping for a spring emulation based on more complex tanks, that have 3 or four springs. Something with smoother, less audible "bouncing", but not as smooth sounding as the plate reverb. I can point you to Logic Pro's spring emulations in the Amp Designer plugin as a reference, specifically the "Boutique" setting. I also have an Space Designer impulse response from a friend's home-built tube reverb unit that I sampled a few weeks ago, that sounds very smooth - I could send that to you as well.

Thanks again for all your good work. I purchased all of the in-app purchases via the Motherload bundle, and it's a steal. Other than Spring Forward, and some audible "stepiness" in the wah and volume pedals, I'm convinced you have the best effects DSP in the business. Having been an Amplitube and BIAS FX customer for some time, this is not light praise.

Comments

• I've found that the reverb effects sound best if you put them behind the amp and speaker on the chain instead in front of them.
  • Ya know you could load up altispace or convolution reverb as an IAA effect and use your impulse response file in that (altispace also has lots of spring reverb impulse files in it too)
  • edited September 2017
    I've found Altispace doesn't play nice with inter-app audio. It works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't; and with a recent update, I can't get it to plug into ToneStack 3 at all. But I have found a pretty good stop-gap solution for spring reverb within ToneStack.

I'm partial to the sound of the '63 Fender 6G15 Reverb unit, since I'm a closeted surf rock fanboi, and though there's a good emulation of it in the Amplitude Fender pack for desktop, there's no version of it in the equivalent iPad app.

The ToneStack spring reverb gets the wet "sproing" attack more-or-less correct, but the decay sounds really artificial - worse than the most elementary short spring tank. In essence, after the first 0.25 seconds, it's unusable, in my opinion.

Now, BIAS has a "'63 Spring" effect in JamUp, and it gets the attack totally wrong (no wet sproing), but the decay is ALMOST like the real thing. (FYI, the effect is $2.99 in the BIAS in-app store.)

So I figured I'd combine the two in ToneStack, since JamUp plays well with IAA. I put the ToneStack Spring Forward effect up first, Brown setting (Accutone has a shorter slap-back) with low mix and dwell settings (tone dialed into taste.) Then I piped in the JamUp spring reverb afterwards, with low dwell, dimed mix, and high tone, and it's a very usable spring effect.

Again, it is my hope that Yonac can improve on the spring reverb effects in future releases so this work around isn't needed.
  • That's a great idea gonna try that. Also it's not exactly perfect either but I've found running spring thru short decay plate reverb with highs rolled off got in the ballpark sometimes
  • Hoping we get an impulse response loader soon and make this and the cabinet discussions just academic :)