Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tonestack: Next update

I love tonestack. Favorite amp pedal sim ever and I own most of them. I'm curious because I saw in the forums that there may be a next big update coming.

Just curious when this update is possibly coming and if it's going to be a 3.0 or just a small overhaul? Any preview info on what might be included?

Can't wait

Comments

• No preview yet, we're still working on stuff. But if you have any ideas or fx/amp suggestions, please let us know!
  • edited August 2016
    You know one thing I've noticed I think would improve tonestack a lot is; better dynamic range. Normally I can get super quiet whisper clean sounds out of the strings and then super loud distorted sounds. For some reason in tonestack the range of dynamics seems to be more limited/compressed/normalized. I can't get super quiet/clean or loud/distorted while playing. Any thoughts as to why this is the case? I'm not saying it doesn't sound good the way it is but it would be nice to be able to also get warmer and dynamic sounds out of certain amps.

some thoughts for the update

-acoustic sim
    -ever think of allowing folks to mess with the amp components? Virtual circuitry
    -possibly the same with pedals? (I know thats pretty ambitious for an update. Could probably be a seperate app altogether like jamup/bias are).
    -warmer amp processing? Maybe just in certain ones. Ive been playing a lot of BIAS lately and was wondering how they get such warm tones.

Mostly just thanks. I love tonestack and have gotten several of my musician friends to buy it recently. I'll gladly always buy any big updates but mostly I think just warming/fatten up a few things and better dynamic response. Hopefully that makes sense without sounding like whining.

• edited August 2016
    Turning off output limiting helps a bit. Whats the difference between tape1 and tape2. Assuming standard is just compression and tape is saturation?
  • I would really like to see a phrase looper in the vein of what the DL-4 can do (reverse, double and half speed, restart, play once).
  • And the polarity switch for pedals.
  • edited August 2016
    Ring modulator? Synth module? Maybe one of those wierd sitar pedals (makes your guitar sound sitarish)? Maybe something glitchey and dicey
  • edited August 2016
    What about a pedal that takes the clean sound of tonestack (something I appreciate in general over more brown sounding sims like jamup) and adds a warmer tone for a fuller more analogue sound if that's your bag. Options

Btw please don't stop updating and supporting tonestack. I was so dissapointed by other amp sims on the ios. Theyre always limited in some annoying way (No IAA or AU), buggy, sound bad (positive grids terrible pitch shift algorithms)and usually ipad only. Tonestack is king.
  • There is already a ring modulator in the motherload 2.0
  • Oh yea. I forgot about the by ringo pedal
  • I'd love to see an impulse response loader that works with both speaker and acoustic body IRs and keeps track of which IR is loaded for each patch that it's used in.

• edited September 2016
    Bluetooth MIDI support, so I can use my Blueboard without having to use the Blueboard app.

Tonestack as an AUx

• edited September 2016
    +1 for the looper! And of course if you want to crack it an Amp matcher...
  • Omg amp match would be amazing
  • Bluetooth MIDI Support for a IRig Blueboard or BT4 Positive Grid. 4 Track Looper similar to Amplitube not like at Looper HD. Full Redesign. All Effekts on one Pedalboard.
  • Support for Cubase mobile, until now it worked only with audiobus!
  • Is a big update something that's coming anytime soon? Sorry to pester. This is my favorite guitar amp/pedal app and is head and shoulders above almost anything else. I'd say bias fx is comparable but their whammy pitch shifters still sound glitchey compared to tonestack's
  • Yes, the update is coming very soon. We've pretty much finished and are now just testing. We're expecting to submit it within the next few days. I'll have more info soon about what's included. But just to mention - there's a whole amp bundle. And all the new amps & effects will be in an "Expansion 3.0" bundle, for users who already have the Motherload (just like we did with 2.0).

Some things like messing with amp or effect pedal components would likely be a new app. Same with IR loader or amp matching. Probably not something we'd do within ToneStack.

No looper with this one... but we definitely want to do one in the future, hopefully the next big update.

So excited to share more details soon! I actually came here to lock this thread because I thought *I* had started it haha. Whoops! And thanks for all the love and suggestions :)
  • Can't wait for the update to land, waiting patiently :)
  • edited November 2016
    So excited!! Buying immediately. You made my day. I am free advertising I swear. I get everyone I know to buy tonestack and they're always impressed.
  • Can we get a preview or timeframe for release? What kind of effects or amps or features have been added?
  • edited November 2016
    It'd out! Thanks so much. This looks amazing!
  • I played a little with the 3.0 presets a bit and definitely find some things I like. I can't wait today's be in desperate to really play with some of the new delays and distortions.
  • I upgraded on Sunday so I could try the acoustic sim. To my ears, the acoustic sim from ToneStack is better than the acoustic sims from BIAS and JamUp.

BUT... the acoustic sim from ToneStack seems to amplify noise way more than any other presets I have in the tool, all without noise gate. I also bring amps from BIAS into ToneStack via the IAA Effects fx, and the noise is a lot less than when I use the acoustic sim. Anybody else experiencing more noise with the acoustic sim?

My signal: guitar (humbucker) -> presunus USB 2x2 -> iPhone7 plus iOS 10

Jeffrey
  • I agree the acoustic sim on tonestack sounds amazing!

Yes I've noticed but I think as you probably have noticed as well that acoustic sims usually amplify the higher frequencies as part of emulating acoustic guitar. You can also use the acoustic amp sim alone instead of the acoustic sim pedal + electric amp.

Also you don't want to combine the acoustic pedal and amp. The amp already has a sim in it and combining the two creates ways too much treble frequencies.

I usually use the acoustic amp on std or jumbo profile and turn the top ctrl down a bit to take out the higher frequencies. Also using a bassy cabinet like the clementine helps too.

Honestly I haven't noticed too much extra noise. I'm using a lightning usb interface not a headphone jack one since they are inherently noisier
  • Thank you for the details and suggestion on the acoustic sim and acoustic amp. I'll try this at some point this week.
  • I don't know if it's possible but a formant adjustment pedal would be wild
  • Also just curious. What is the difference between tape 1, tape 2 and standard limiters? I'm assuming standard is just compression and tape is saturation. Whats the difference between tape 1 or 2?
  • I have just one suggestion/question. Could we get more dynamic response or is there a way to adjust it? I feel like it's really difficult to play softly it always sounds super compressed and still loud. especially on distorted settings the distortion doesn't feel as warm or responsive.

Any way I can adjust this? Or maybe option to adjust it in an update?

I like tonestack better than bias/jamup but I noticed I can't archive the same dynamics and wondered if it's inherent in the app or just something I don't know how to adjust on my end.

I tried turning the limiting but no change to softer dynamics
  • edited December 2016
    SOLVED

Had to turn down the input to where soft playing = clean and harder = distortion. Also turning off limiting and adding an expander pedal helped too
  • The suprapawn fizz setting is amazing. I'd love to see more rusty junk old equipment sounding fx and emulation in future updates. Not sure what exactly. Ideas?