Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question on OU812 Pre and Post controls

The OU812 is a very nice and flexible amp. I'd like to better understand the pre and post controls and how they are voiced between the Rhythm and Lead channels. I assume Pre is impacting preamp distortion, but I'm not sure the role Post plays - is this between the preamp and phase inverter into the power amp? Or does it control power amp distortion? If so, does that mean the Master Vol is just a block output level control - or is that controlling the power amp distortion?

I can certainly hear a difference between the color of the distortion created by Pre and Post, but it would be helpful to have a visualization of a block diagram of the amp to understand where the distortion is being produced, by what, and how symmetric or asymmetric it might be.

Comments

• i ned the answer to this as well please.
  • In this kind of virtual design, the analogy would be:
    pre after the first input tube
    post somewhere along the chain, toward the end of the preamp cascade
    volume would be a 3rd gain control, after the post and typically just before the phase inverter.
  • I am confused now.

So the pre and post are both "Preamp Gain" and Volume is your Power Amp Gain?

Is this the same with Britannia? It Has Pre Gain Master Gain and Vol.

Is Vol just an output limiter here or does it affect Power Amp sim gain
  • Definitely would love to learn more about the actual controls of the amp models. The Vol knobs affect the output and I have to go into audio preferences and dial back the output DBs.

Does the Vol knob actually affect the tone and saturation or is it just an output level?
  • edited January 2018
    Have you found the new information about the use of these tips?
  • edited February 2018
    No Jessie said it's at the end of the signal so volume would control overall dB. If tape1/2 is on then it can potentially add saturation but the same thing would happen if you raised dB in settings. With standard limiting on it shouldn't add any coloration/saturation.

Why is this an issue for you may I ask? Are you unable to get the sound you want? Or just curious outside of any practical application?