Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Really liking TonePort

I use a Helix and JVT-69S for gigging, and S-Gear in Logic Pro X for recording. S-Gear to me is the reference digital guitar amplifier. Mike Scuffham has created something really special there. I use it for all recording. Helix is a great gigging machine. I also have the full Bias FX suite on iPad and MacOS. I'm finding TonePort to be really quite good in comparison to all these other options. Bias FX has nice amp customization features, but the amps have limited controls (no bright switch, no channel, no voicing controls). So its ok for one-tone patches. But I generally prefer to use a small number of patches with one amp most of the time to get my tone, then turn effects on and off as needed, getting the tone out of the guitar volume, pickups, tone control and my hands, more than a lot of patch switching. So the OU812 for example is a very flexible amp that can cover a lot of ground in a single patch.

The thing that struck me most about TonePort though is the effects. They're fantastic, and with a lot of nice selections. There's a few tell-tale effects that if a vendor gets those right, then you can pretty much trust they'll get the others right too. Two that come to mind are the UniVibe and Leslie since they're so hard to model. These effects are mostly unusable in Bias FX, especially the UniVibe. Its not even close. Helix gets it right and so does TonePort. But where TonePort really shines in the Leslie. Its really nice and does exactly what its suppose to do.

I'm using TonePort on an iPad Pro with a Line6 Sonic Port VX interface and BlueBoard as my back to Helix and portable rehearsal setup. I'm really liking it. Very flexible, great UI, easy to use, great effects, lot latency, easy MIDI control. Highly recommend it and looking forward to great things from Yonac.