Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tonestack: FX Loop Vs PA?

What do you guys do if you suddenly have to switch to an amp instead of a PA? Do you go to each preset, turn the cabinets off and resave them all? Could you actually load your setups in icloud or something and quickly grab them if you need to switch? Sounds like a global switch like in Line 6 stuff or bias fx might be handy

Comments

• edited October 2017
    Yeah. I turn off cabs and put the (real life) amp on a very clean low gain tone and dial the (virtual) amp gain back a bit and turn up treble a bit. It's a bit different depending on the RL amp but that's the basic procedure for me. And yeah I'd make a seperate duplicate preset bank for amps vs PA
  • This sound slike something that needs to be adressed, though I think we could use the stereo outs to do both.....I think
  • Not really because every real life amp is different so there's not one universal setting that's going to sound good thru every one. Also it's an amp sim. Its meant to run thru a PA or possibly a keyboard amp (in which case no tweaking necessary). I'm confused about what would need to be addressed? Its kind of like running a distortion fx thru a distortion pedal; so there's no need for a sim if you are going to use a real amp since it's a bit redundant. Do you know what I mean?

I get using the sim for pedals or maybe just to tweak the sound but then it's really up to your ear and taste to adjust things. Make sense?
  • With regular pro and even prosumer hardware and VST amp sims and pedalboards and what not, you usually have separate outputs, or options, to send signal destinations that really really want a cab sim (like a PA system or the input to a recording device) a signal with a cabinet emulator on it (some go further and add power amp and transformer emulations, which are cool but not the showstopping, draw dropping, nails on a chalkboard horriffic travesty of justice that is an amp sim with no cab sim straight into a full range speaker), while other outputs go to the fx loop or power amp input of an amp that is going to go into an actual guitar voiced speaker cabinet of its own.

Some of the pedalboards out there, like much of the line 6 stuff, require you to do a little bit of trickery to get these separate signals, while others have them natively.

While every single destination as you say definitely need to be tweaked for 100% perfection, full range speakers vs guitar speakers are two completely different categories, one which is perfectly happy (optimal even) with the sound you give it, the full range speaker is almost without exception (never say never, kids are crazy!) an utter nightmare without some filtering done to make it sound like the bandlimited guitar voiced speaker setup.