Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommendations for FX/amps & cabs using a synthesizer

edited January 2018 in General
Dear people.
I am planning on using ToneStack in (perhaps?) an unconventional way, not with a guitar but with a synthesizer for producing electronic music, in a style called 'dub techno'. I will be making use of a bass synthesizer, the Korg Volca Bass and a drummachine in the near future. I am especially very much interested in making use of ToneStack's 'Cosmic Delay' FX.

My question is: what would you recommend for using amp & cab for the specific sound/style I want to create, as there are a LOT of choices to make.. I am aiming for an analog sound.

This are 2 examples of the sound color I am aiming for:

Comments

• That's particular to the bass sound you start with. I'd actually try starting with only cosmic delay and use the saturation and flutter knobs (go easy unless you want it to sound demented) to get the analoge effect youre looking for. After it sounds good to you, you could try adding amp/cab combos maybe suprapawn or one of the vintage ones

Honestly Id do this tho

Synth -> mix white noise with LOWPASS/BANDPASS-> the cosmic echo or echorex with flutter/saturation and that should get you pretty close

Maybe just try different cabs without amps too. My fear is that amps might muddy the sound but you could try both
  • @panthemusicalgoat

Thank you very much for your help, much appreciated!
  • edited January 2018
    Also aufx:dub has a tape delay mode that adds white noise and warble. The delay isn't as nice as the cosmic echo but if you combined the two...

You could just use the LOWPASS white noise output from aufx:dub run into cosmic echo pedal and I think thats pretty spot on what you're looking for
  • I was looking all over the place in Tonestack for aufx:dub, until I found out it was a separate app! :) Very interesting and I will most certainly give it a try.
    I am considering simulating old tape hiss with samples of real vintage tape machines.
    Or even record everything on an old tape machine. But this is all for later concern, yesterday I received my new synth and I have yet to buy the iRig HD for connecting it with Tonestack. I am sure I will be back for questions in the upcoming weeks. It has been 20 years or so since I last worked with synthesizers, and the only digital workflow I had was sequencing software on an Amiga computer..
  • Irig hd2 is amazing. That's the one I recommend
  • Also I've been messing with synths in tonestack lately. Honestly going thru lighting bolt/suprapawn or similar amp without the cab and low gain high volume actually sounded really warm and nice