Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support for Kauldron ADSR

I have written about four times to Yonac about the ADSR controls in Kauldron, after finally getting the app to behave somehow. The ADSR settings are in two parts, under Filter and VCA. There are no units and no graphical representation, so how do you know what you are doing? I read the manual. obviously written by someone with English as a second language, and it says things that are either mistaken, impossible, or inapplicable. Of my four inquiries, I received one reply from Jessie, who stated what I had hoped would be the case, except that it isn't. For one thing one of the descriptions says that attack increases the frequency of the filter. No it damn well does not. You can't increase the frequency beyond the initial bandwidth, or if you can, what is the point of establishing a bandwidth? In the VCA if you increase the amplitude, it actually increases the rise time to a matter of seconds instead of milliseconds. I feel that that there is no actual support for Kauldron and that ADSR is unusable because you can't understand it or the manual, which is written incorrectly.

Comments

• The ‘filter’ ADSR envelope operates IN-TANDEM with the frequency and contour parameters found in the filter. This is a standard analog design feature with heritage reaching back to 1960s, and which we have used and improved upon for over 10 years in this platform. That envelope controls interact with filter frequency and contour settings is paramount in operating this submode correctly. By way of a simple example,

Where frequency is expressed as f, and contour is expressed by c, let g(c, f) = f' be a mapping. Let time at beginning of a note event be t0, whereby t1 is the time at the end of the attack period. Then, simply,

at t0, the center frequency is f
    at t1, the center frequency is f’

Now, let h(s, f’) = f'' be a new mapping, where s represents sustain. Where t2 is the point in time at the end of the sustain period, we have f’’ as the new center frequency. This is a stable state, which will be exited on a note-off event, and if tD is the time duration of the release period, the initial Fc = f is reattained after tD is elapsed.

The unit representations are momentary representations as provided on the main display area in the taskbars. The curvature of the envelopes are designed to be psychoacoustically significant, and where applicable, the arbitrary unit of time will be converted for convenience, ease-of-reading, as well as saving screen space.

• you have not responded to my specific concerns. I give up. Kauldron is unusable and tech support takes weeks to respond with useless comments.

• Alright. If you think the above response is useless/not answering your questions, I'm not sure what else we could do to help you. It lays out the requested details of the ADSR, which was modeled after classic synth standards. We've been doing this for over 10 years, and have never received questions asking for such details, so I hope you appreciate that we gave the best response that we possibly could.

• Let me be specific one last time. In Filters, there is no kHz scale, in the ADSR portion , there is no milliseconds scale. In the D-VCA, if you increase ATTK, it does not increase the amplitude, it increases the rise time to the point where the tone takes seconds to reach full volume.
    I would like to try to synthesize a trombone in Kauldron. A trombone can be represented as a low pass filter with cutoff of 1 kHz, moderate rolloff, and a resonance beyond cutoff. It is impossible. You can't figure where one kHz is, you can't set a specific number of ms for attack and decay, the the rollout of 24 db is too steep, and D-VCA controls are crazy.

• First off. You're being rediculous. The world does not revolve around your ignorance. Are you the kind of person who screams they want to talk to a manager?

Second. Attack is what causes the signal to fade in. It has nothing to do with amplitude. Look it up. That's what attack is Are you new to synthesizers?

Third. kauldron is modeled after an analogue synth which had dials and not kHz readouts. Not sure how you're not getting this. You're just being rude and its obvious you are new to this because this is how most analoge style synths are set up.

Forth. All low pass filters have different curves. You can't just set it to a specific frequency and expect it to sound the same. Hence why most synths don't both having the readout.

Fifth. Don't be so frustrating and rude. I know it's confusing but everyone is busy doing stuff and yonac is a very small (very good imo) company. Just because you don't know how to use a synthesizer isn't their problem.

Sixth. I'm sorry for being rude. I'm just having a rough day as well

• OK, you're being rude, but that's not solving the initial problem. Evidently the ADSR controls in the Filter section affect a VCF, but why aren't there any units on the dials? Are you telling me that analog dialers of old, just tweaked until it sounded almost right without knowing what they were actuating doing in units of frequency?
    In the D-VCA section, adjustments to the dials should be setting amplitudes by using a VCA (the title of the section) . If so, why does changing ATTK change the rise time instead? I notice there are no brass sounds in the presets (which are basically all just weird pianos), this must be due to the fact that you can not simulate a brass instrument wit a 24 db rolloff. What do all the ADSR controls really do and why aren't there any units on the dials?