Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comparison with hardware amp and pedal simulators

Does anyone have a feel for how the sounds and general usability of ToneStack on an iPad compares with hardware products such as Line 6 Helix or the Headrush pedal board? I am wondering if I will eventually want to move to such a device from ToneStack.

Comments

• edited March 2019

I would say that although the ToneStack amp and pedal mods are good, they're not as good as the dedicated modelers. I've had an opportunity to do sessions with Helix, Fractal and Kemper and I find them to be superior, especially with regard to pedals. I also have BiasFX and Amplitube for iPad in addition to ToneStack, and in general, none of them do as well as the dedicated modelers. This, of course, is in my opinion and based on my experience alone. I have used ToneStack in various situations and it works well. No complaints. But if I had the budget (and I don't) I'd definitely go with a Fractal or Kemper. I've done an A/B with the ToneStack Tube Screamer (using my iPad/iRig HD) vs. my TS 808 direct into an amp (i.e., no amp modeling, just the pedal) and it's not close. I've worked to get good sounds with ToneStack, though, and have had success with it.

• Thanks for that Duane. I am not an experienced user of real amps and pedals so my judgement on these things is still in its infancy. I am enjoying ToneStack very much, but can see it might be less convenient than a dedicated modeller in anything other than my practice environment at home. I haven’t quite sussed out using a midi floor device to control it yet. That’s next!