Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steel Guitar Pro first impression

I just got it for the sake of it. But I am a bit disappointed, as the most obvious feature isn't implemented (yet): MPE!
I hope this will be added soon, I expected MPE, as Magellan has it and for a Steel Guitar its obviously obligatory.
I want to play the slides with my Sensel based LinnStruMini...

Comments

• TJ,

It looks like this app implements a custom protocol that spans multiple channels (like MPE). But the main difference is that NOTES are sent as string numbers and pitch changes are implemented via 4 channels of pitch bends so bar tilting can be encoded. So, this app can record in a DAW and be used to re-create a performance from the saved recording.

There's a lot of clues about the customer protocol in the manual.

I'm experimenting with making a MIDI FX script that will convert the custom MIDI into a stream that works well on an APP target that accepts pitch bends of +/- 12 semitones. The pitch accruracy at the 12th fret is NOT exact but it still is fun to push a synth using a slide guitar input. I have to use the MIDI Note string data to implement tunings for the resulting MIDI Note data. I'm going to try and great a knob to adjust the Pitch Bends so the player can tune the output to some fret value. It's a bit tricky with 14-bit pitch bends which span 2 bytes as 7 bits each. I hope it works but if not you can still play by ear like a slide whistle.

Adding extra features like muting and pedal behaviors are yet to be explored. The script will be published on patchstorage and NOT supported by Yonac but still yet another use for this amazing app. Does the world need another MIDI controller? One with a slide guitar interface that outputs standard MIDI? I say YES. But I like making some pretty microtonal weirdness so cinematic effects.

• I would like to see Steel Guitar Pro support a 2 finger mute when Advanced Bar control is turned off. The 1st product had this feature but the Pro version does not. It only does a 3-finger mute AND only when BAR tilting is enabled. Bar tilting seems to make me have a lot of tuning issues that I don't want just to be able to finger mute. I'm looking into MIDI input options like CC 64 on channel 15... not sure if that will help.

• Hi McD! We have added the 2 finger mute, it will be in the first update. Cheers!

• I’m so glad it’s been added! I’m loving the sounds and the interface design and custom MIDI protocol is genius. Best guitar app money can buy now that it takes MIDI input and provides AUv3 support in my DAW’s.

I’ve been hacking in the MIDI out stream to use the slide for synths that support 12 semitone pitch bends. I need to check the Yonac synths for targets.

My conversion script beta is up at:
    https://patchstorage.com/sgp-midi-filter/
    No support requests to Tonac please for my bugs.

• Thanks for adding the 2 finger mute in an upcoming update.

Can you consider enabling CC 64 (Sustain) on channel 1 as well as 15 so keyboard players can get sustain for their input streams on channel 1? Thanks.

• There seems to be interest in allowing MPE for input because the app has such wonderful Guitar sounds. I hope this is given consideration in this app either as an IAP feature enhancement or in another app that focuses on Guitar without the slide aspect. Something that might allow Tapping on the fret board and more attention to strumming. I realize using multiple fingers on the fret board is NOT great for IOS but allowing MIDI (and MPE) as an input protocol maybe in consecution with GUI strumming might be a killer Guitar app unlike anything on IOS... tho' people keep telling me to check our GarageBand's guitar. I probably won't just on principle since Apple won't present GarageBand as an open application like all the other DAW's are.

• When pedals are configured to tilting there is no corresponding MIDI output so they would not be recorded.

• Forget my comment on tilting. My MIDI monitoring app was blocking CC events. I switched to StreamByter and see events on CC’s 102-105 associated with the 4 tilts.

• It looks like the buzz is over. Accepting CC 64 on MIDI channel 1 (programmers 0) would help for external MIDI controllers. I hacked a script to rout it to channel 16/15 and that’s so much better. Having The app respond to pedal up… like a mute is also powerful.

• Jessie, will this fantastic upgrade for Steel Guitar be making its way to macOS? Part of making professional quality recordings is being able to move files between iPad and desktop for final production. Whatever the folks at Yonac decide is great, but it would be better for production efficiency to have the same software for both iOS and Mac.

• I have had great results controlling SG Pro with K-Board C and QuNexus. Holding the pad keys works as a sustain. Also the best so far is my Fishman midi pickup on my guitar. Only wish there were lessons available as playing the on screen interface would be much better. Only found marketing videos and so called reviews by people that can't play steel guitar, apparently. I can make noise like they can. I would pay for lessons using the app.