Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there going to be a ToneStack v4.0?

Comments

• Theres already a preset exchange. Share button

• Not sure if anyone from TS reviews this but a 3rd request - in Connections View we have to use the slider bar to scroll left and right, whereas I keep trying to slide the units which seems more intuitive. Can you add this?
    Loving using ToneStack btw...
    Cheers,
    Baz

• Scale the MIDI input for the "Out Gain" control. I.e. if MIDI is giving 0-127, I'd like the "Out Gain" to move from -48dB to 0dB, not up to +24dB. Once implemented, the scaling could be available to all the continuous controls.

Why is this an issue:

I'm using the Line6 POD X3 Live as a controller, and the volume pedal always gives 0-127 in MIDI (There is a patch-specific setting for the max volume from the pedal, but it doesn't impact MIDI output). The pedal switches between volume and wah by kicking it on full, so especially when switching to wah, the volume is going to be set to full.

Having the main audio level output on full easily drives clean lead sounds over peak on the output. Clean rhythm patches should play lower than leads, and with many amps (e.g. the acoustic sim and compressor) the "leakage" through the chain (with all available volume knobs turned to zero) is still louder than the patch should be, and the sound is impacted as well. To compensate that, I'm now adding static volume pedal fxs to the ends of chains to lower the volume enough to handle the maximum output. (Amusingly enough, since some amps don't have a "lead" channel, I'm sometimes chaining a second volume pedal to boost the volume 6db back up for lead tones within the same patch... :-) )

I'm aware of the "Output Limiting" settings, but neither in the manual nor in the forum have I seen any explanation of what they actually do. One assumption is that "Standard" compresses and the "Tapes" saturate. I would like to keep the dynamic range as intact as possible and select for each patch, whether I want them compressed.

One way would be to give up the global volume pedal and just stick an active volume pedal effect to the end of every patch, which would leave the audio level output setting manual. In this case every patch change would set the volume to the level saved in the patch before the pedal is touched, which is not the preferred way either. (If I set the volume pedal half-way and change the patch, I don't want the next patch to blast out on full before I tell it to.)

So far I don't have a solution which I would like. For the time being I'll probably continue sticking static volume pedals to the ends of chains, but I can't imagine that going -/+ 24dB would do good for either sound quality or dynamics. It would be far easier if the volume pedal would just set the output audio up to 0db and the patch volumes could be as usual, without worrying about distortion on the output.

• Plugin support for computer DAWs (Mac, in my case) continues to be the most important issue for me.

Once I spend all the time and effort on my sounds for live use, I'd like to use the same patches for studio projects. I'm running ToneStack in an iPhone SE for portability, but our household DAW of choice seems to be Ableton. I know it is not a minor request, and not exactly ToneStack 4.0 (yet?), but it would be great!

• A few requests/observations:
    1. The volume knob on Uni-vibe. I use Uni-vibe a lot but doesn't have a volume control, I need to add a compressor & clean boost after it because there is a distinct drop in the gain after switching it on.
    2. Reversible MIDI expression, so I can decrease the value by pushing the toe down instead of heel down. There are time when I want to fade one effect out and bring in another & this would be extremely useful.
    3. It would be great if there are individual dry & wet control on every effect. So many time I find myself wanting to ease off on the processed sound and bring in the original sound just a tad more. I suppose the analogue versions could never do it, but digital realm offers a great opportunity to have such a feature.
    4. Numerical input for variables and possibly an option to disable dragging input. There are times when I hate dragging my fat fingers on the knobs and I can't see what value it is at. Also there are times when I accidentally end up changing values while trying to drag units around.
    5. Can the bottom half be made to automatically drag along with the signal chain? Or at least be dragable just like the signal chain? Right now it's counter intuitive when the signal chain drags but the bottom half has a thin scrollbar at the bottom.
    6. Alternately can the bottom half house only Units that we choose to display there? my signal chains are so long that it's task to drag it around from one end to other just to see if something is on or off. Or even the ability to hide/minimize individual units. I really like the orange highlight that shows the unit is on but I feel I don't really need to visually see all of them while playing live, only the ones I am going to be switching on and off.
    7. Level indicators in audio preferences panel. Right now the sound level is not visualized when I am changing the input/output levels and I have to use guesswork.
    8. Probably a long press on buttons to bring up the MIDI learn assignment would make for easier setting up.
    9. Probably a lighter/high contrast interface for playing live. Sometime I can't figure out anything on the screen because of stage lights.

if any of this makes it to the new version I'll be happy (esp the Uni-Vibe!) . Cheers!

• I love Tonestack! I use it extensively for live performances with Blueboard, get compliments all of the time in the sound, and I have turned multiple friends onto this app. For gigs I use OnStage to create performance group that is also a set list, with a preset for each song, in order. Some things that could be improved here: 1) easier way to re-order when there are a large number of presets in a performance group. e.g. Multi-select would allow re-ordering a group of presets in one drag-and-drop motion. Ability to see 30 presets on the screen at the same time would make dragging a preset from say slot 30 to slot 1 much easier; 2) copy performance group! Currently to create a new set list, I have to either destroy the old one (by re-ordering the presets) or create a new performance group from scratch. Keep up,the good work!

• Definitely the best all-in-one guitar app I've found so far. My wishlist for the next update includes:

1) Numerical inputs for all parameters - maybe by just tapping the number on the upper part of the screen and typing it. With some knobs (eg in/out gain knobs of IAA inserts) the useful range corresponds to a fraction of an inch of dragging, and it's almost impossible to fine tune. Frustrating.

2) Internal IR loader (ideally, with a decent IR browser interface) - this would be soooo neater than linking to Fidllicator or similar apps via IAA...

That's it for me!

• Tape Deck: Upgrade to support pitch shifting also quantized to semitone steps, simultaneously (not alternatively) with time shifting options.

Why: I recently needed to learn a tune, where the original was in a different key. I also wanted to slow it down. Ended up doing it with RiffStation, which supports both.

• Just bouncing this to top of list. Any reply from Yonac as to when/if there is going to be an update.

• I'd like the ability to insert a volume pedal between the amp and delay. Currently, when setting an expression pedal to control volume parameters, it only serves as master volume, so the delays and reverbs cannot trail off.

• @DuaneH :
    When do you want your delay/reverb to trail? When you switch of you amp? (we're speaking about a amp model in Tonestack, right?)

• Personally, I’d love to have complete cross-compatibility with the Steel Guitar app. Would like to import/export presets between both apps so I could play with a preset on my real-world guitar using ToneStack, then go into the studio and use Steel Guitar with the same preset to get an extremely clean guitar sound.

• Haven’t seen any comments from TS regarding possible upgrades for some time??? Any news TS ??
    I have been using TS3 for a long time now for the versatile effects and some clean sounds as well as the midi implementation. However, the distortion/overdrive sounds and amps are outdated so I use IAA and bring in distortion/overdrive amp sounds from Bias FX2 into TS. It works well but I would prefer to stick to using one app to reduce CPU load. So, a new version with:

• updated amp sims,
    • IR loader or just better cab sims
    • more microphone selections, positioning and their environmental controls
    • option to adjust sampling rate
    • PLEASE DO NOT remove the ABY feature !!
      These are my suggestions for new options. Obviously there are some pedals that would need upgrading/improvement.

Iggie

• Yes, it's coming! We're starting testing this week.

• Wow! Cannot wait...

• If y’all’s be needing beta testers I would like to volunteer! :)

• Hi, any news about v. 4?
    Thx 😎

• September 26: We're starting testing this week.
    One month later: any news?

• As others have said, AUV3 will be really useful. And the IR loader, which I've just gotten into, will also be very helpful. There have been some other amps that I've bought from Nembrini, mostly to get away from the digital sound of Tonestack. But I think the IR loader with some of my ownhammer IRs could be the answer I'm seeking. Lord knows I've spent enough money chasing tone with TS 3.0 and three motherloads so far!

• Hi Jessie, it is now 6-months later since “testing started”...just wondering if there is any progress? I have been patiently waiting for a new Tonestack version and there are new releases from IK Multimedia Amplitube (V5) and Neural DSP’s Quad Cortex that is very tempting - not sure I can wait for another 6-months...

• We're working on it. Every day! I'll see if we can lock down a timeline next week.

• edited April 2021

EDIT EDIT EDIT
    Please see my update below! This info has changed, but I did not want to delete my original post. We were working on transferring purchases, but Apple did not approve it, and we decided to scrap it. Intro pricing on launch will be a VERY deep discount instead.
    Original post below:

Wanted to give an update about what's going on....
    The ToneStack update will be a new brand new app. You will be able to transfer your previous purchases into the new app. As you can imagine, this involves a lot of testing. That's one of the many things we're testing now and getting ready.

• Thanks Jessie. Something to look forward to. Great that you will be allowing previous purchases to carry over into the new app!! Still, it will be great if you can tell us at least which quarter of the year we can expect the release...?? Regards

• I know, we're not great at estimating app arrival times. I feel pretty confident saying.... Spring 2021. It's pretty ready, but we have a lot of testing to do in the next few weeks.

• Great news! Thank you. If you need someone to assist with testing, I will help...I have tried most guitar amp and FX simulators - Amplitube, BIAS FX/FX2, Ampkit, GE Labs, Guitar Rig, ... you name it I have tried it.

• Update!
    Well, the app has been ready for a while, but we've been having trouble with the IAP/transfer stuff that I talked about above. Apple rejected it last week because of the IAP/transfer section, so we are likely going to have a very, very, VERY reasonable intro pricing instead. Trying to get AUv3 goodness in everyone's hands as soon as possible. Hoping to submit in the next few days.

• Wow !! Thanks for the update! Looking so forward to the launch...

• Dear Jessie,
    At first thank you very much. I know you did your best. I have a question for clarification:

Does this mean that the intro and then regular price of Tonestack PRO and the price of all IAPs for PRO will be the same for the person who previously purchased Tonestack with all IAPs and for the person who will buy PRO and all IAPs for PRO for the first time?

Apart from the impossible transfer, does the AppStore have abilty to show different prices of all IAPs for PRO for users, who has already purchased all IAPs for Tonestack? (another app of the same developer).

Kind regards, D.

• The App Store does not have the ability to show different prices for people who've made prior purchases, hence why we couldn't get the transfer process approved. But to make up for this, the intro price is going to be very huge discount. Like a LOT less than the prices in the current ToneStack.